Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Pine Tree and Joe and One Small Step





















ONE SMALL STEP
In memory of Two Section

I grew up in the small New Zealand Town of Gisborne
where I occassionally gazed at the stars
I even joined the Astronomical Society where the topic
of conversation was usually the Moon or Mars
Ten years later I was in the jungles of Vietnam
fighting in a war
I had no time to gaze at the stars or talk about the
Moon or Mars or anything more
But in July of 1969 I heard about the giant leap for
mankind
How the western world was rejoicing there was no Vietnam
in mind
One small step made by a soldier on patrol
that same July
Upon an anti-personnel mine he did tred three
seriously wounded and three they did die
How many soldiers died that month when man walked
upon the Moon
Could not the money or technology have saved
them from their doom

R.W.Hamon
(copyright)



Read the poems of Two Section, Two Platoon at http://www.vietnamwar.govt.nz/ scroll
down, click 0n poetry scroll to page 4,5,6 0f 6

No comments:

Post a Comment